BC Finance Minister Carole James delivered the province’s 2019 budget update on February 19, 2019. The budget anticipates a surplus of $274 million for the current year, $287 million for 2020 and $585 million in 2021.
The biggest announcements are:
- BC Child Opportunity Benefit
- Interest Free Student Loans
BC Child Opportunity Benefit
The BC Child Opportunity Benefit covers all children under 18 and can be applied for starting in October 2020. (This replaces the Early Childhood Tax Benefit where the benefit ended once a child turned six.)
Starting October 2020, families will receive a refundable tax credit per year up to:
- $1,600 with one child
- $2,600 with two children
- $3,400 with three children
Families with one child earning $97,500 or more and families with two children earning $114,500 or more will receive nothing.
Interest Free Student Loans
The provincial portion of student loans will now be interest-free effective as of February 19, 2019. The announcement covers both current and existing student loans.
Medical Services Premium
As previously announced in the last budget, effective January 1, 2020, the Medical Services Premium (MSP) will be eliminated. In last year’s budget update, MSP was reduced by 50% effective January 1, 2018.
Public Education System
The public education system will receive $550 million in additional support.
Pharmacare program will be expanded with an additional $42 million to cover more drugs, including those for diabetes, asthma and hypertension.
To learn how these changes will affect you, please don’t hesitate to contact us.
- Applications for Canada Recovery Benefit now open!October 13, 2020 - 2:54 pm
- New Canada Emergency Rent Subsidy | Wage Subsidy extended | CEBA additional $20,000 loanOctober 9, 2020 - 4:23 pm
- Applications for Canada Recovery Sickness Benefit and Caregiving Benefit starts today!October 5, 2020 - 1:51 pm
- The Difference between Segregated Funds and Mutual FundsOctober 2, 2020 - 6:30 am
- Throne Speech: Recovery Plan HighlightsSeptember 24, 2020 - 3:47 pm
We specialize in providing consulting for Employee benefits including group investment products and Executive benefits and make it understandable for our clients. Service is the cornerstone of our firm. We serve a broad array of clientele; from small businesses to large corporations. As every client is unique we take pride in understanding our clients’ needs and helping them achieve their goals. Being true independent brokers, we only work for our clients and not for any one insurance company. Service matched with solid processes and integrity are the cornerstones of our company. We look forward to working with you now and in the future.